First Assignment – Market Forces
The Governor of the State of New York recognizes that the economic
achievements of urbanized metropolitan areas can bring global economic
success to her administration. The first order of business is the creation of a
White Paper that discusses critical information and informs the reader on how
that could be accomplished. It should contain discussions on urban economics
paired with geographic, spatial, and social discussions. As a newly hired
analyst, the Governor’s Chief of Staff has asked you to start putting together a
research paper that discusses the benefits and problems related to urban
1. Such an undertaking is complex and takes volumes of books to even scratch
the surface, so wisely synthesize the issues beginning with why cities exist
and the process and importance of urbanization.
For this assignment on market forces, writings should be focused on the
benefits of urbanization, urban agglomeration, urban growth, and urban
2. Examine traditional and emerging urban issues taking into consideration
what would be your priorities.
3. No research would be complete without considering the job market and
job creation in urban spaces and how the government could help.
4. Discuss the centripetal forces of the system of cities that empower regional
5. Discuss the historical technological, geographic, or industrial development
and how knowledge of the past can guide future policies.