Research Paper: Civilization and Traditional Jihad Assignment Instructions
The purpose of this paper is to examine, evaluate and compare the concepts known as Civilization (Cultural) Jihad and the more traditional, violent Jihad. Students will examine the underpinnings of each from an historical perspective. The paper must discuss a history of both concepts and the threats that both pose currently in the West and, more specifically, in the United States. Additionally, papers must also discuss the role of the intelligence community and how it has engaged in confronting the two forms of Jihad as well as what role it might play in the future to confront potential challenges and abate future attacks.
All papers must be completed through the lens of a Biblical Worldview where students will incorporate appropriate biblical passages and/or resources. The paper must be completed in APA formatting and consist of 15-20 pages (excluding all title, abstract and reference pages). In addition to the course text, all papers must utilize at least 10 outside scholarly sources to support evaluation an analysis. Also, make sure your paper includes but not counted as a page, title, abstract, keywords, and references
At a minimum, the following sections are required:
· Provide a brief introduction about the key elements in the paper.
· Background and Problem Statement
· Preliminary research must be conducted using practitioners, government sources, articles, etc., to identify and discuss the concepts of Civilization/Cultural Jihad, Violent Jihad, Intelligence and the role of the Intelligence Community.
· The thesis statement will discuss and describe the concepts cited and the significance of each as they relate to one another. The thesis statement must be clear and concise (approximately 250 words).
· Literature Review
· The literature review is a critical component of a proposal. This section highlights what has been achieved related to your topic. Answer the following questions:
· What is Civilization/Cultural Jihad?
· What is the background/history of Civilization/Cultural Jihad?
· What Constitutes Violent Jihad?
· What is the history of Violent Jihad?
· How does Civilization Jihad and Violent Jihad interplay and what role does either play within the context of the global war on terror as prosecuted by the United States?
· What comprises the intelligence community?
· What role does the intelligence community play both within the context of Civilization Jihad and Violent Jihad?
· What threats are posed by both Civilization Jihad and Violent Jihad for the West?
· What can or should be done to address the potential threats of Civilization Jihad and Violent Jihad?
· What are the central themes and arguments in current literature?
· What is missing from current literature?
· Scholarly articles are required. Although some information from government sources may be used sparingly, approximately 80% of the review should incorporate recent scholarly articles (published within the last 10 years).
· Do not state your opinion in this section. All information provided must be properly cited and must be from quality academic sources. To achieve this, use direct quotations, paraphrases, and synthesized information from multiple sources. For example, this statement synthesizes the opinions of 4 scholars: “Researchers have argued that disaster planning is critical to minimizing the negative effects for emergency responders (Brown, 2010; Caldwell, 2009; Moore, 2011; Stanley, 2008).”
· Summarize your findings. What are the key points in the literature with regards to how it impacts both the intelligence community as well as efforts by the West to prosecute the global war on terror? Additionally, which form of Jihad poses the greatest threat to the West and why?
· What type of response is needed? What or who should be engaged (e.g., intelligence community, military, federal law enforcement, local law enforcement citizens, etc.)? What specific issues do you see as the greatest challenge to confronting both forms of Jihad?
Note: Your assignment will be checked for originality via the Turnitin plagiarism tool.
Page 2 of 2