: Read this entire instruction! Pick ANY disease of your choice (eg.
Rickets, Paget’s Disease, Achondroplasia, Hypertension, Diabetes type 1, Diabetes type
2, X-linked myotubular myopathy, Osteoporosis, Osteoathritis, Sleep apnea etc.)
Second Task: Read about the disease in detail by doing research. I recommend
using the links below for your research (login with your cunyfirst info):
1. https://jamanetwork-com.hostos.ezproxy.cuny.edu/journals/jama and
3. Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/
When you visit the websites above, search for the disease you selected – for example,
type in “Review of Achondroplasia.” You can also try “Review pathophysiology and
treatment in COVID-19.”
If you desire, you may also use textbooks, CDC website, NYS Dept of Health website,
other governmental websites as references for your research. The 3 databases shared
above are preferred. Avoid: wiki, webmd, and other similar sites
Third Task (Week 3): From your research, pick out at least 5 of your favorite research
(scientific) articles and reference them in your essay using MLA, APA, Vancouver or any
citation style that you desire. You must cite your work otherwise you will lose points if
determined you plagiarized. When you make a statement based on a study by scientists,
you must credit them by indicating where the scientists reported such finding. You may
begin your statement with: According to Frances et al, colonoscopy is preferred method
for diagnosing colon cancer.. The  represents the number out of the 5 articles you
read. Check youtube for more info related to citations eg.
Fourth Task (Week 4): In over 550 words, compose an essay using the following
1. In one or more paragraphs, write the introduction: must include history of the
disease, impact of disease on human, and include some statistical data.
2. In two or more paragraphs, discuss the anatomical structures impacted by the
disease. Discuss at least two of these levels: chemical, cellular level, tissue level,
organ level, and organ system. Be sure to compare normal vs disease state.
3. In two or more paragraphs, discuss the functions (physiology) of the structures
impacted by the disease. Discuss at least two of these levels: chemical, cellular level,
tissue level, organ level, or organ system. Be sure to compare normal vs disease
4. In two or more paragraphs, describe how the disease may be treated or
managed (must discuss details from your research; if medication therapy is the
method of treatment, you must discuss the mechanism of action of a sample
drug). When writing this, think about how the treatment affects cellular level,
tissue level, organ level, and organ system.
5. Conclusion: Summarize and discuss future advances.
Fifth Task (Week 5): On a separate page,
• List at least five (5) references used in writing your essay (only research-based
Scientific Journal Articles; no Wikipedia/random internet source).
• Again, do NOT list any reference from webmd or the likes!!!
• All reference must be from a review article and listed like below:
• Type the paper under font name of Calibri; and font size of 12.
-Please read the instructions carefully and follow them to earn all points!
-Do not plagiarize! This is not a group project. Don’t copy from the internet or from
anyone, including students who took this class in the past. Do not quote multiple
sentences or entire paragraph. You will lose plenty of points. Watch these videos to
learn how to avoid plagiarizing:
-Submit your paper days or weeks before the due date!